Rising Prevalence of Sleep Apnoea in US Threatens Public Health
According to the National Healthy Sleep Awareness Project, more than twenty five million adults in the US have sleep apnoea. This number combined with the rising prevalence of OSA is setting off alarms in public health and safety. OSA is a chronic disease that is straining and threatening public health because of the associated problems of heart problems, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression.
A number of studies provide proof of the link between OSA and other diseases:
• Untreated sleep apnoea causes significant reduction in white matter fiber integrity in the brain leading to impairment of cognition, mood and daytime alertness.
• A study has found functional and anatomical changes in brainstem regions of people with OSA.
• Diagnosing OSA and prescribing CPAP therapy prior to surgery significantly reduced postoperative cardiovascular complications by more than half.
• A favorable reduction of blood pressure with CPAP treatment was noted in OSA patients with resistant hypertension.
Read the full story here:
Image courtesy of pandpstock001/ freedigitalphotos.net
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners