Oropharyngeal Crowding Closely Relates to Aggravation of OSA
Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) can be caused by narrow maxilla and mandible in both obese people and non-obese people. It should be remembered that obesity is the major cause of OSA.
- The severity of OSA can be linked to fat deposition, oropharngeal crowding, and maxillomandibular enclosure size.
- Oropharngeal crowding, computed as the ratio between tongue size and lower face cage, is independently linked to the severity of OSA.
- The more crowded the upper airway in both obese and non-obese patients, the more severe the OSA.
In obese subjects, the TG/LFC ratio, BMI, and TG positively correlated with AHI, whereas, in non-obese subjects, age, BMI, and TG/LFC significantly correlated with AHI.
Read the full story here
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners