Obstructive sleep apnoea associated with less visceral fat accumulation in women than men
Dr. Yuka Harada and Dr. Kazuo Chin of the Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine sought to study the link between obstructive sleep apnoea and the accumulation of visceral fat in different genders. The study was informed by the fact that visceral fat is closely associated with cardiovascular diseases.
Parts of the findings from the study include:
· Visceral fat is associated with OSA in men and not women.
· Severe cases of OSA and severe dyslipidemia were greater in men.
· BMI was not a factor causing or indicative of OSA in women.
· The relationship between visceral fat and OSA in men can be used to create diagnostic and prognostic tools for sleep apnoea.
Learn about other findings of this study here.
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners