Menopausal Women 6 Times More Likely to Suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA)
Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is caused by the collapse of tissues in the upper airway. The prevalence of OSA in men at 4 percent is double that of women at 2 percent.
· 40 percent of women have a dramatic increase in sleep disturbance during and after menopause.
· Sleep disordered breathing such as OSA and snoring predispose people to cardiovascular complications that may include hypertension, arrhythmias, stroke and heart failure.
· A new study indicates that menopause could be a factor leading to OSA. Menopause depletes progesterone that provides protective properties to the respiratory system.
Progesterone is a respiratory stimulant that increases resting ventilation, thus aiding against airway collapses – the cause of OSA. Because women have more progesterone than men, they are less susceptible to OSA. However, the onset of menopause decreases levels of progesterone, resulting in a spike in OSA occurrence.
Read the full story here
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners