Diabetes, Hypertension and Sleep Apnoea
Do you have chronic diseases such as hypertension and diabetes? If so, you may also consider yourself at risk for obstructive sleep apnoea. Obstructive sleep apnoea is a sleep disorder which is characterised by cessation of breathing or reduced ventilation during sleep. This was issued to encourage sleep apnoea testing among diabetics and hypertensive patients and is currently the new recommendation issued by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
What is the real relationship between diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnoea? An article from http://blogs.webmd.com has these thoughts:
- OSA frequently is found in people with type 2 diabetes and with cardiovascular conditions, including hypertension. Approximately half of patients with high blood pressure also have obstructive sleep apnoea.
- People who suffer from OSA are at significantly increased risk for diabetes and hypertension, and vice versa. This appears due to a commonality of risk factors such as obesity.
- There is also an elevated risk for high blood pressure among middle aged and older adults, people who are overweight but also those who are a normal weight.
- The risk of hypertension appears to increase with the severity of obstructive sleep apnoea.
- Severe OSA has also been strongly linked to resistant hypertension.
- OSA may disrupt normal glucose metabolism and increase insulin resistance, which is the underlying biological mechanism of type 2 diabetes.
- Regular use of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), the most common treatment for OSA, can lower blood glucose levels.
- CPAP also can help reduce both nighttime and daytime blood pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea.
Read more here:
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners