Children’s Sleeplessness May Be Linked to Bedtime Use of Electronic Gadgets
You might want to take back the smartphone or tablet from your kids. The findings of a study of 26,000 children have revealed the strongest evidence that bedtime use of electronic devices has a close association to inadequate sleep and poor sleep.
· Children who use mobile media devices at bedtime had a two times greater risk of sleeping less than the recommended nine hours of sleep a night.
· Mobile media devices provide socially and psychologically stimulating material at a time the brain should be winding down to catch some sleep.
· Problems caused by sleep deprivation include anxiety, poor memory and cognitive ability, hyperactivity, increased appetite, depression and obesity.
“These findings make it clear that the rapid development of technology and media use has outpaced the ability of medical researchers to assess the positive and negative effects of ubiquitous exposure to media during the critical years of brain development in children and teenagers,” they said.
Read the full story here
Somnowell Inventor - Visiting Professor Simon Ash FDS MSc MOrth BDS
Prof. Ash is the inventor of the highly successful SOMNOWELL Chrome device for snoring and sleep apnoea.
The Somnowell Chrome is made to exacting standards in the Somnowell laboratory under the supervision of Visiting Professor Simon Ash. Prof. Ash and his master technicians create each Somnowell Chrome device using their wealth of experience and expertise.
Prof. Ash works at the forefront of his profession. He is a Consultant and Specialist Orthodontist with over 30 years clinical experience, with a special interest in sleep related breathing disorders, TMJD, and bruxism. He currently works in Harley Street London and two private hospitals in London as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing snoring and sleep apnoea, and is Visiting Professor of Orthodontics at the BPP University.
The Somnowell mandibular advancement appliance is also recommended by:
- Sleep Centres
- ENT Surgeons, Sleep Physicians, Respiratory, Physicians
- Orthodontists, Dentists
- General Medical Practitioners